How many languages do I speak?
- Fluent: English, French, Esperanto.
- Moderately comfortable, but lack vocab: Modern Standard Arabic, Iraqi Arabic, Levantine Arabic, Japanese, Tok Pisin.
- Forgotten: German, Spanish.
- Can read: Spanish, Italian, Latin, Classical Greek.
- Studied: Norwegian, Quiche Mayan, Klingon.
- Dictionaries/Grammars: Akkadian, Latin, Attic Greek, New Testament Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Modern Standard Arabic, Gulf Arabic, Levantine Arabic, Tchien Krahn, Dioula, Japanese, German, French, Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Klingon.
Nowhere near as impressive as Language Log’s, but it’s a start.
Update: An article in the Economist gives a good description of what linguists do.